This is your weekly reminder that this is NOT NORMAL.
- It is NOT NORMAL that someone who was credibly accused of sexual misconduct, lying to Congress, and failing to maintain a reasonable judicial temperament in congressional hearings was confirmed to the Supreme Court anyway.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the FBI, when conducting an investigation of the sexual misconduct allegations, failed to interview the Supreme Court nominee, the accuser and (reportedly) dozens of other people who claimed to have relevant information.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the president, at a rally in Minnesota, mocked a former Senator for (entirely appropriately) resigning after being accused of sexual misconduct.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the president, his siblings, and his parents, apparently dodged taxes for decades; it is also NOT NORMAL that the president lied about the extent to which he received financial help from his parents in order to make his business acumen look more impressive.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the Department of Homeland Security separated parents from their children at the border without having computer systems in place to track where the children went.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the president said in a speech that Dianne Feinstein was writing an “Open Borders Bill” that every Democrat in the Senate supports. No such bill exists. This appears to be a total fabrication.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the president alleged in a speech that he built a US embassy in Jerusalem for $400,000. In fact, the embassy cost about $21 million.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the president bragged in a speech that only he had been able to pass a Veterans Choice program so that veterans could see private doctors. The program was established in 2014, under the previous president.
- The president’s Twitter feed continues to be NOT NORMAL. To be specific, this week it was NOT NORMAL for the president to
- tweet that “This is really an incredible time for our Nation – WE are RESPECTED AGAIN!” (I am forced to remind you that the president was openly laughed at during his UN speech last week);
- claim that “Due Process, Fairness, and Common Sense are now on trial!” because of the opposition to his Supreme Court nominee;
- refer to women lobbying the Senators not to confirm the nominee as “very rude elevator screamers” and claim that they were “paid professionals” and “paid for by Soros” (George Soros does not pay protesters);
- claim that the crowd of protesters during the Kavanaugh confirmation vote “is tiny, looks like about 200 people” (the protesters numbered in the low thousands, and the president was in Kansas at the time so he could not personally evaluate the protester count); and
- argue that “Democrats have become too EXTREME and TOO DANGEROUS to govern” (again, apparently anything goes as long as you don’t use the specific word “deplorable”).