This is your weekly reminder that this is NOT NORMAL.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the president is resisting an emergency relief bill for farmers and communities hit by natural disasters because it offers aid to Puerto Rico, which incidentally is part of the United States, not a foreign country.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the House Ways and Means Committee has been forced to subpoena the president’s tax returns because he refuses to release them after promising to do so for several years. It is also NOT NORMAL that the secretary of the treasury and the IRS commissioner continue to resist House requests for the tax returns even though there is a law explicitly allowing the Ways and Means committee to request returns for any reason.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the acting defense secretary (who coincidentally was finally nominated to be the official defense secretary late this week) has notified Congress that he is shifting $1.5 billion to build the president’s wall.
- It is NOT NORMAL that the president’s allies are attacking a fellow Republican because he has subpoenaed the president’s son to discuss his meeting with a Russian lawyer during the campaign.
- It is NOT NORMAL that Georgia and Alabama have enacted draconian and unconstitutional abortion laws, including provisions that lead to women suffering miscarriages to be treated as criminals and charging women with falsely reporting a crime if their rapists are not convicted. (FYI, the conviction rate for rape is quite low, and is not necessarily indicative of a false accusation.)
- It is NOT NORMAL that a contractor for the president’s inaugural committee who was fired because of financial irregularities is publicly accusing the White House of throwing her under the bus and calling on the inaugural committee to release her from her non-disclosure agreement so she can testify freely.
- I am quite sure that the president’s Twitter feed continues to be NOT NORMAL, but I am skipping it this week on the grounds that no one should have to read such a thing on Mother’s Day.